What are cravings?
Cravings are a powerful desire for something.
Synonyms: longing, yearning, hankering, hunger, hungering, thirst, pining, desire, want, wish, fancy, urge, need, appetite, greed, lust, ache, burning, addiction, aspiration, aim, goal;
What can we do about them?
Here are some ideas how you can deal with cravings when they appear. Don’t just reach for the item or behaviour you crave, try one of these useful techniques instead. Sometimes little tweaks in how we approach a situation can be all that we need.
- Examine your feelings: We often find ourselves longing for something not for the reason itself e.g. hunger, but for other emotional reasons: are you really feeling lonely, bored, resentful or just fed up?
- Drink some water: hunger, for instance, can be mistaken for the signal for thirst, drinking can also be a distraction.
- Say to yourself: If I still want this in 20 minutes, I can have it then. Cravings last only for about 90 seconds so nine times out of ten you will have forgotten about it by then. It is human nature if you say to yourself “No, you are not having that”, you may want it even more.
- Have you tried tapping? I will do a video in a future post to show you the basics of using this technique for cravings.
- Here are some ideas of how to substitute other food if your craving is for unhealthy food. I saw this on BUhbye 95
How the Live Well Practice can help
As a hypnotherapist, I deal with the subconscious mind which is responsible for cravings. Whether this relates to food, smoking, alcohol or gambling, I can help. I have helped many people overcome their cravings and regain control of their lives. For a free introductory session, please contact me either via email email@example.com or phone 075 222 777 22.